Comment on page
Conditions & Requirements for Running a Node
- A Linux server with 8 GB of RAM, quad-core CPU, 40GB of storage space with a fixed IP address and dedicated resources
NB1: Running a node on a PC/laptop - that is without a valid public IP - is NOT possible.
NB3: As the network evolves, these requirements may change. Stay updated with subsequent guidelines.
NB4: An economic/cost-friendly VPS does not generally meet these requirements and a Pion node my not run properly on those.
To ensure the network's reliability, every node is expected to maintain a minimum of 97% uptime for each reward period, that is, maximum downtime is 3% each 7 days.
If a node's downtime exceeds the above limit, rewards for that period will be slashed. However, if a node's downtime crosses the threshold that is 20% downtime over a 60-day period, it will be disabled.
Node management is crucial for maintaining the integrity and security of the PION network:
- Third-party Management: Requesting third-party node runners to run and manage nodes for users is strictly prohibited.
- Multiple Servers: Running a node on more than one server/IP simultaneously is not allowed.
When migrating to a new server/IP, follow these steps:
- Stop the old server.
- Wait for at least 1 hour.
- Start the new server and restore the configurations.
Protecting the data within the network is a shared responsibility:
- Muon Core: Muon core will purge data for expired subnets from the nodes. Keeping backup of such data is not permitted.
- User Data: Operators should retain only their node configurations and private keys. No other user data should be stored.
NB1: If you suspect your node has been compromised, disable it immediately via the dashboard and then contact one of our admins on Discord/telegram.
Maintaining the secrecy of certain network details is crucial:
- Subnets: Revealing the subnets your node belongs to is strictly prohibited.
- Configuration and Keys: Exposing node configurations, especially private keys, poses a significant security risk. If compromised, the node will be disabled and stakes might be slashed.